Projects/paper suggestions CSCI6508 (Fall 2003)
You should explore a specific issue related to
neurocomputing (either technical applications or neuroscientific models). You
can thereby concentrate either on a critical analysis of the literature, or
explore some of your ideas (though it has to include some literature
Here are some suggestions for themes:
- Load capacity of attractor networks (both ANN and CANN;
follow Treves & Rolls, and study information content in CANN)
- Effective dimensionality discovery (with CANNs)
- Kai (Suggestion from my son)
- Learning modulation (Michael Hasselmo). See
M.E., Bodelon, C. and Wyble, B.P. (2002) A proposed function for hippocampal
theta rhythm: Separate phases of encoding and retrieval enhance reversal of
prior learning. Neural Computation, 14(4): 793-817.
showing transition from equation 12 to equation 13.
- Conditioning and Neuromodulation (see
Peter Dayan home page,
particularly Dayan, P & Yu, A (2001).
uncertainty, and cortical inference, NIPS 2001, to appear. See
also Yu & Dayan
- Classification (Grahame) (including ROC, see for example
- other topics you might be interested in
You will have to present your topic in class (~40min) and write it up in a
format that I will specify later (conference paper style)
Talk to me about your plans!