How Do I ...?
How can I forward my mail and still keep a copy on the local UNIX server?
How can I find out where a program resides on borg?
- create a .forward file with permissions 604 and include this line \this_account, account@forwarded_address so for me it is \johnston, firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I view my E-mail without using Pine?
How do I remotely access skywalker?
- Use the "which" command. for example to find if perl is on borg and what the path for it is, type which perl and the output is /opt/bin/perl
How do I find out where my print job is in the ugrad2 printer queue?
How do I find out the status of the Dalhousie computer network?
How do I unsubscribe from a mailing list?
- telnet to borg.cs.dal.ca
- type lwq
- you will see a list of print jobs. The one marked "active" is the job currently being printed. All other jobs are listed in order of time arrived in the queue and are printed in that order.
- to delete your own print jobs type lwrm -Pugrad-2 [job#] eg. to delete job #577 type lwrm -Pugrad-2 577
- Check the queue first before sending your print job 10 times or use your credits and paper to print someone else's life story :(!!
How do I set up a mail filter?
How do I automatically forward mail from my IS2 account to my Borg account (or vice versa)?
- Mailing lists are run by automatic programs called mailer daemons.Majordomo is a popular mailer program. To unsubscribe from a list, compose an e-mail to the mailing list manager of the mail server,ie email@example.com and leave the subject line blank.
- In the body of the mesage just type the text including the name of the list you wish to unsubscribe to, for example:unsubscribe csexchange If you are unsubscribing to a list on another server, eg, you are composing on Hotmail, then include your mail account addy that gets the spam; eg unsubscribe csexchange firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send the e-mail and you should get an e-mail reply from majordomo saying that unsubscribe csexchange was successful.
How do I get a nice new locker for this term?
- Log on to the account that you want to forward mail from.
- Create a file called .forward eg use the command pico .forward
- Type in the E-mail address that you want mail forwarded to.
- Save that file and then log on to your other account.
- To test the system, send yourself an e-mail to your other account.
- The e-mail should appear in your new account
How do I work out how much printer credit I have remaining?
- Ask very nicely at reception and they will tell you how you can have a nice new locker!!!
- To see how much of your $12.50 is remaining this term, log on borg and type ljstat