- Common errors in final submission paperwork for
- Graduate Studies <graduate.studies@DAL.CA>
Dear graduate students, staff, and faculty:
[Graduate Administrators — please circulate to your faculty members, especially those supervising graduate students.]
As we all get used to the new final submission paperwork for graduate theses, we've noticed a few common issues cropping up. We would like to clarify these points in order to avoid unnecessary resubmission of incorrect paperwork.
- The student's name on the title page of the thesis and on the Thesis Approval Form must appear exactly the same. If the student name does not appear the same on both of these pages, and the Thesis Approval Form is already signed, the student should change their name on the title page to appear exactly the same as it does on the Thesis Approval Form. Alternatively, the student may re-do the Thesis Approval Form and obtain the committee's signatures again.
- All fields on the Thesis Approval Form must be typed. Many students have presented paperwork with the names of committee members handwritten, which cannot be accepted. Please ensure that all fields are typed in accurately before the committee signs the form.
- There is a lot of confusion on the Library And Archives Canada form about what date to use in the
Date degree awardedfield. The proper entry for the
Date degree awardedfield is the month and year of the student's convocation. So for most students submitting at this time, the entry should be
We are pleased with how the new paperwork process is going so far and want to make it as easy as possible at this busy final submission time. As always, please contact a member of the thesis team at FGS if you have any questions:
- Master's thesis inquiries
- Kim Humes
- Doctoral thesis inquiries
- Alicia Kirk
Alicia A. Kirk
Senior Thesis Clerk
Faculty of Graduate Studies, Dalhousie University
Rm 314, Henry Hicks Building, 6299 South Street
PO Box 15000, Halifax, NS, Canada,B3H 4H2