DR. CARRIE E. GATES
- Ph.D. (Computer Science)
- Faculty of Computer Science, Dalhousie University
- Thesis Title: Co-ordinated Port Scans: A Model, A Detector and An
- May 2006
- CO-FOUNDER and CHIEF TECHNOLOGY OFFICER (CTO)
- SECURELYTIX, INC.
- Newton, MA, United States of America
- July 2016 - present
Drive the technical vision for a new approach to cloud application security
that applies anomaly detection techniques to process mining via API call
analysis. Review product architecture, develop business-relevant use cases
and design user interfaces. Understand the security industry landscape and
identify opportunities and competitors. Communicate the company’s technical
strategy to potential investors and customers.
- EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, SR. DISTINGUISHED ENGINEER and CHIEF SCIENTIST (SECURITY)
- DELL RESEARCH, DELL INC.
- Santa Clara, California, United States of America
- November 2013 - January 2016
Develop and implement the research strategy for security within Dell by
identifying research projects that will result in either new products or market
differentiation across all of Dell product areas (software, end user computing,
servers, and services). Lead development of a security strategy that represents
all security offerings within Dell and provides a vision for future directions.
Establish Dell as a thought leader in the security space through presentations,
publications and patents. Represent Dell Research to customers, industry
analysts, the academic community and the press. Enable technology transfer
between academic research and products. Establish and lead a security research
team. Act as a mentor to junior staff. My projects have resulted in 12 patent
filings, 6 invited presentations, and 1 publication, in addition to external
videos, industry analyst discussions and press interviews.
- SVP, DISTINGUISHED ENGINEER and DIRECTOR of RESEARCH
- CA LABS, CA TECHNOLOGIES
- New York, New York, United States of America
- April 2006 - November 2013
Guide the strategic direction for research within CA Labs. Identify
opportunities within the business units at CA that can be transformed
into research relationships performed in collaboration with university
faculty and students. Perform research that has the potential to impact
the strategic direction of CA products and services, with a focus on
enterprise-level security. Participate in defining CA's corporate strategy.
Represent CA to the academic community via invited talks, conference and
journal papers, and participation in conference organizing and program
committees. My research projects have resulted in 31 publications, 24
invited talks, 11 panel participations, 12 awarded patents, 3 filed patents,
and over $1million in external funding awards.
- C. Gates and P. Matthews (2014). Data is the New Currency. In
Proceedings of the 2014 New Security Paradigms Workshop. Victoria, Canada.
15-18 September 2014.
- C. Gates and S. Engle (2013) Reflecting on Visualization for
Cyber Security. In Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE International Conference
on Intelligence and Security Informatics (ISI). Seattle, WA. 4-7 June
- T. Taylor, D. Paterson, J. Glanfield, C. Gates, S. Brooks, J. McHugh
(2009) FloVis: Flow Visualization System. In Proceedings of the
Cybersecurity Applications and Technologies Conference for Homeland Security
(CATCH). Washington, DC. March 3-4, 2009.
- M. Bishop and C. Gates (2008) Defining the Insider Threat. In the
Fourth Annual Cyber Security and Information Intelligence (CSIIRW).
Oak Ridge, TN. May 12-14, 2008. (pdf)
- C. Gates (2007) Access Control Requirements for Web 2.0 Security and
Privacy. Position Paper accepted to the Workshop on Web 2.0 Security and
Privacy. Oakland, CA. May 24, 2007. (pdf)
- C. Gates and C. Taylor (2006) Challenging the Anomaly Detection Paradigm:
A Provocative Discussion. In Proceedings of the 2006 New Security
Paradigms Workshop (NSPW). Pages 21-29. Schloss-Dagstuhl, Germany.
September 18-21, 2006. Acceptance Rate: 32% (12/38).
Selected Press Articles
Recent Honours and Awards
- Recognized by Computer Business Review as one of "Five Women Leading the Way in Cyber Security", September 25, 2015
- Recognized in Diversity Journal's 11th Annual Women Worth Watching issue, September 2012
- CSO Magazine's Women of Influence Award (Academic), 21 October 2010